Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Training with Clothesline

Clothesline is not only used for hanging clothes on it is used for your dog too. It is not used to hang your dog when he is being very bad or mischeivious it is simply used to gain control of the situation. I am trying to find the humor in an out of control canine so hang in there with me. No pun intended, hahaha.

Cut a piece of clothes line about four feet long. Tie it to your dogs soft collar or training collar. Never leave your dog unattended with the line on. This line is a training tool only. You will keep it attached to your dog when he or she comes into the house for a visit. With the line on you now have control of where your dog will be and where he might wonder off too. Should your dog jump on the couch, you will simply give the line a quick tug and tell the dog to get "OFF" Once the dog is off your hands will be right there to praise. Remember this always hands are for praising and the line is to get your dogs attention or to correct for unwanted behavior. Please, think before your correct your dog. Does your dog understand what it did wrong? Or are you yelling at the dog because you think it should automatically know what is right and what is wrong? Your dog is willing to learn if you are willing to teach. You must be your dogs guide until your dog understands the rules of the household. Guiding your pet into proper behavior is where it all begins, not with the yelling and the tossing the pooch outside.

Think about this, If I came to your home and there were wonderful looking cookies on the table I would assume you were going to offer me one. (I'd sure hope so anyway) Your dog sees a great looking steak hanging near the edge of the table, just perfect for him to take a bite, so a bite he does take. Well hells bells, your all bent out of shape and had you had the clothes line on you could have guided your dog to the table and told him (NO!). Then you would remove him from the great steak on the table and place him somewhere not so close, until he learned what it was you were wanting of him. If I was a dog I would just wait until you weren't around to clobber me and then I would grab it. If you guided me through the steak- no take lesson, I might just sit down somewhere and wait patiently for a bite when you were finished. Not to many of us came out of the womb knowing the right thing to do the first time around so give your dog a break and put the clothesline on him and guide him through the lessons he must learn to become a good member of the family.

With a visit from me to your home I will guide you through the training you will need in order to guide your loved pet. The dollar store has clothes line on sale for a buck. Buy some and if your pet should chew it off just replace it and be happy you only paid a buck for it. This is what training is all about. Thanks for thinking of your pet, Sully
What can I expect from you?

When purchasing a new dog or pup I have found it works well to set up a one time visit with your trainer. This way the pup or dog will be learning only good habits prior to going to school. Take a few days to get acquainted with your new arrival and then get with your trainer so unwanted habits don't become a way of life.

I will show you how to boundary train, potty train and crate train. I will show you how to stop your precious pet from running out the front door. This is so important as once outside they are at the risk of being hit by a car. When I come to your home, the visit normally lasts about two hours. I find it very important to learn your life style and the style in which you want your pet to live. My goal is to make your life easier so you can live in harmony with your new friend. Once I get to know you and your pet then I am only a phone call away should a problem come up that you don't quite know how to handle. I can solve most problems over the phone so there is no need to continue paying for in-home visits. The education I will leave you with should carry you through until your pet is ready to attend group or private lessons. I firmly believe in a lot of socialization, there for I highly recommend a group setting in which to train. There are occasions where a few private lessons are in order, depending on your canines behavioral problems. Most problems can be solved right here at the training grounds. When I do an in-home visit, I will tell you what you have to look forward to in your dog. I will give you routines to follow so your canine knows how to except a command and look to you for guidance. I will teach you how to become your pets best friend so your friend will willingly want to do as you ask. Starting off on the right foot makes life a whole lot easier. You will find it is a lot easier to create good living habits then it is to un-do unwanted habits.

Call me and let's talk. Please remember, no question is too silly so ask away once you get me on the phone. I do not send you a bill for talking with me on the phone so feel free to call. Our dogs need us to work together so they can stay in our lives for many years to come. Please remember, most bad habits that our pets have are usually due to us!!!!! Don't blame them, call me and let's work on the problems. Your problems will become my problems.

No comments: