Tuesday, July 17, 2007

On Shaving Your Dog in the Summer

Come summertime everybody seems to think that shaving their dog down will keep it cool. I have found this to be not quite true. It has lead to sun burned dogs and skin problems due to too much direct heat on the body. I do believe God knew what he was doing when He designed these dogs. Their hair serves as insulation both in winter and in the summer. You can shave under their bellies so when they lie on the nice cool floor they truly feel the nice cool floor. To each their own when it comes to their best buddies. As a trainer I have seen a lot of skin problems due (I think) to exposing their tender bodies to the heat and the sun. I believe that shaving their under side will help them to stay cool along with a cool floor and a few ice chips to nibble on while they are relaxing.

Think about this, when you are nice and white you would never run around in the blazing sun without some protection. We use sun screen or clothes. I do believe the BIG GUY gave your dog his coat for a reason.

No comments: